Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chelsea

Today, I decided to check out the Chelsea Area. First, I went to 9th and 10th avenue and 15th and 16th street where the Chelsea food Market is. 
My intention was only to look around because my friend wanted to go in and I had already eaten, but I could not resist the aroma of fresh baked pastries every corner you turned. There were so many different selections of foods including fresh baked breads and Pastries. As I walked through the market, I read the platforms on the wall, giving me some insight on the history of food market. It has been around since the 1890’s and started as the National Biscuit Company. Eventually, the old ovens had to be replaced and have been working since at the Chelsea Market. Originally, the building of the market was the Nabisco factory, where the Oreo Cookie was created. and then in 1997 it became what is now Chelsea Market. Today, the upper level floors are offices for big companies such as “EMI” music production and the “TV Food Network”. 











After the Market, I headed over to the Chelsea Piers. It was really nice to get a change from the city and hang out in a calm relaxing scene overlooking the hudson river where boats have been docking since the early 1900’s. In fact, the Piers was the intended destination of the Titanic ship- which I thought was pretty cool! The piers hold many different centers such as a sports center, golf club, a spa, and a skatepark. 








Here are a few pictures of the Market and the Piers.















































































Citations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Piers

No comments:

Post a Comment