Sunday, September 12, 2010

Some volunteer work comes with awesome benefits.



               If you have a desire to learn about the french language, culture, food, or even see amazing french films for FREE I suggest joining the French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF). As I was recently walking between Madison and Park Avenue I spotted the school, and because I have always wanted to learn the french language I decided to join! Started in the turn of the 20th century, the Main goal of the Institute is to promote French culture, language, art and bring together French and American interaction. After joining I decided to volunteer for their “Fall Festival: Farm City Fair” which is an event held presenting work from new and upcoming french and american artists, and also celebrating Urban Agriculture, seeing the work of farmers, chefs, and architects. I had the opportunity to eat the most exotic foods i have ever tasted...(Baguette-Goat Cheese Ice cream)..sounds weird but it was so divine. Even better, I was able to try a delicious meal consisting of a poached egg, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, and the perfect amount of basil made by the famous chef, Wylie Dufresne. Inside the building there was some of the most unique and abstract art I have ever seen, created by french and american artists. 

(Heres the link to Chef Wylie Dufresne’s recipe that I tasted at the Fair)





-This is a picture of compost getting ready to be set onto a canvas to become a compost painting, or a “natural by product”. This is done by compost painter Andrew Casner.





























-These sculptures were created by French artist Mathilde Roussel-Giraudy. They were created with real grass grown and then sculpted.




















Some More Pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment